Friday, July 31, 2009

Moving On

It's official. My parents are moving. (only about 4 blocks North... but still...)


It's going to be weird to drive by the house I grew up in, just a few blocks from where I live now, and know that someone else is raising their family where I was raised. huh.

I have some mixed feelings about the sell of this house. I am happy my parents are getting a new house. But the old house just feels like home. You know??

Every challenge I have faced in my life has always led me home. After every heart break I cried into my pink flowered comforter. The countless hours of primping in the big purple bathroom. The nights of sneaking out the basement door to meet.... um, well, lets just say "friends" Watching my brothers play basketball in the backyard, and having them "let me" get the ball for them when it went out of bounds. :)

Learning everything I know about cooking in that kitchen. All my education/ homework at that kitchen table. My first kiss on that front porch... You get the drift. It's bittersweet.

Whenever times have gotten tough, I just drive to my parents house and sit on the couch, like being inside that house will protect me. Because nothing bad ever happens and I am always safe inside that house. I know it's really the family inside the house that makes it a home, but do you every really forget where you were raised? It's like your first love; you know you have to move on, it wasn't that great. But somewhere in the back of your mind you will always idealize/miss it.

So, that is my ramblings on this major milestone for my parents. I, on the other hand, have moved 6 times in the last 6 years. And now that place I feel most at home is curled up in Mark's (big, muscly, yummy) arms.

This post was rather sappy for me. Sorry.

5 comments:

Murray Family said...

Wow, yeah, I think that's hard. When I knew my parents were moving to bountiful, I was really sad we were going to lose the house I grew up in. Luckily Marcus ended up buying it (and totally remoldling- it's gorgeous!). But I'm really happy it's still in the family. So anyway, I think it's normal for it to be a kinda sad time. Who ever is buying their old house is one lucky family!

Anonymous said...

Melissa and I were sad when my parents sold our house in Green Fields. But their new house feels like home now.

~*~toni~*~ said...

Our family home was sold and years later, my dad and brother rented rooms in it...LOL! That was weird! I still drive past it when I'm in FL to take a look! It doesn't look the same now though!

Katie said...

Zekie was really bummed too. "But I like their olllllllllllllld house. I don't want them to move." It's nice it's going to a good fam that will probably think it's cool if you want to visit. I've visited my old house in OR several times and they're always soo excited to show me their remodeling :)

Callie said...

That would be hard, I too have many memories at your house. It's exciting that your parents are getting a new home. At least now you will always remember the old memories and now you can start some new ones in their new house.