As I mentioned earlier- it's been a rough week. Peyton has/had been super sick starting about Saturday the 20th. He had high fevers and abdominal pain. Of course I made him "tough it out" for a few days thinking it was just a bug. Finally on Tuesday, we'd had enough! He was too sick. I will fast track through 3 pediatrician appointments on Tues, Wed, and Thurs. No one could really figure out what was wrong with my baby! He tested negative for Flu, Strep, ect...
On Thurs the pediatrician told us to take him up to Primary Children's Hospital for blood work and x-rays...
Again, long story short... His white blood cell count and CRP (inflammatory marker) were very elevated, with the high fevers and severe abdominal pain, all signs pointed towards Appendicitis. Mark and I were all prepared for surgery. But, a CT scan (this was torturous! They filled Peyton's bowls with contrast...) showed his appendix to be fine.
They sent us home.
Thursday night was hell.
MY BABY WAS SICK! He was in soooo much pain.
Mark and I took him right back to the ER.
Finally an X-ray series of his abdomen showed his intestines to be seriously enlarged. His upper intestines were so swollen they were pushing on his diaphragm and lungs.
Peyton was admitted with Gastroenteritis and an Ileus. Poor baby. The IV and meds helped a ton. We had to carry him back and forth to the bathroom, he was so weak. And, as strong of a gal as I am; I cried.
On Thurs the pediatrician told us to take him up to Primary Children's Hospital for blood work and x-rays...
Again, long story short... His white blood cell count and CRP (inflammatory marker) were very elevated, with the high fevers and severe abdominal pain, all signs pointed towards Appendicitis. Mark and I were all prepared for surgery. But, a CT scan (this was torturous! They filled Peyton's bowls with contrast...) showed his appendix to be fine.
They sent us home.
Thursday night was hell.
MY BABY WAS SICK! He was in soooo much pain.
Mark and I took him right back to the ER.
Finally an X-ray series of his abdomen showed his intestines to be seriously enlarged. His upper intestines were so swollen they were pushing on his diaphragm and lungs.
Peyton was admitted with Gastroenteritis and an Ileus. Poor baby. The IV and meds helped a ton. We had to carry him back and forth to the bathroom, he was so weak. And, as strong of a gal as I am; I cried.
Peyton and his IV. Curious George got to be a patient too!
Finally, some rest! Not for Mom/ Dad though- we're exhausted!
The bright spot was Peyton got a lot of attention! We gave him whatever he wanted and we discovered Peyton LOVES LEGO'S. Mark is such a sucker (loving dad) He went right out and bought Peyton the most expensive LEGO set he could find. And Grandma Taggart made sure to get him lots of LEGO'S as well.
In other news... This weekend is Mark's and my 5 year anniversary. We had an amazing trip to San Fransisco planned and were very excited for some romance. Obviously, that didn't happen! But we both had all weekend off for the trip, so that was convenient!
I was telling one of the nurses that it was our anniversary and that we had missed our trip. She said "Oh, that's so sad. What were you 2 going to do in San Fransisco?"
It was late-
I replied, without thinking, "Have sex."
Of course this got passed around in nurses report and every new nurse teased us.
I'm sad we missed our trip. But seeing my amazing husband be such a loving father to our sick child, made me love him more. Kindness is the measure of a person. My husband is a sweetheart and was super attentive to me (and Peyton) for the whole stay. He even somehow found a pint of chocolate ice cream at 1-AM for me, after I causally mentioned/ freaked out for some chocolate to take my mind off all this crap!



3 comments:
So, is he out and doing okay?
Hayley was really worried about Peyton. It was so cute. And she's started calling him "My Peyton."
"Is my Peyton still at the hospital?"
"Does my Peyton have to get a shot?"
She'll be happy to know he's doing better. And so am I. :)
Oh my gosh, poor guy! that's awful. I hope he gets better quick!
I am so glad the Peyton is home. That must have been just awful for all of you. I hope this week is nice and quiet for you.
Post a Comment