Tuesday, December 23, 2008

One of "those" parents...

So it's a -no go- for bringing Ryker home before Christmas. It looks like possibly the 26th or 27th. All because his bilirubin is high. He has to be on the lights for at least 24 hours, and then off the lights for at least 24 hours with his bilirubin level coming down. He is gaining weight and doing well in all other areas, so I guess "mom" (me) kind of flipped out a little bit. (I guess I'm not a little pushy, I'm at lot pushy...) I got really mad at the doctor for making him stay at the hospital for Bili lights. I think the conversation went something like this:

(Me yelling): You mean my son is going to stay at the hospital, in the NICU, costing 10's of thousands of dollars a day; getting care from 1 nurse to 3 babies, when he could be at home getting care from 1 nurse/mom to 1 baby at home?!?!?! So a nurse is going to feed my baby a bottle when his mother could very well nurse him at home, all for billi lights?!?!?!?
(Doctor, very calmly): Yes.

So now I'm one of "those" parents, talked about by the nurses during report... "watch out for that Taggart mom..."
The charge nurse even came to talk to me/ calm me down today.

I know what these parents are like, and now I am one. Mark has his hands full, I think he wants to blame it on post partum hormones, but we all know better; I'm just like this...

So pray for Mark; he has a baby in the NICU and a crazy wife!

7 comments:

Murray Family said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I would have done the same thing. I'm sure you're so frustrated and disappointed :(. I think that doctors don't understand how hard it is as a mom to leave the hospital without your baby. That seems kind of crazy to me that they won't let him just come home with a bili-blanket or something! Anyway, I'm sorry you're going through all of this.

Heather B said...

That totally sucks. Sorry Kim. Hang in there.

Callie said...

I love you, I would've done the same thing! I hope Ryker will get to come home soon, your the best nurse for him!

~*~toni~*~ said...

Oh...you crazy? We all know I would've added a few choice words for ya! What's up with that? Babies go home with lights all the time!!!! YOU ARE WONDERFUL.....NOT CRAZY!!!

Mary Ann said...

oh, I'm so sorry Kim, that is so frustrating. I would have said the same thing. Jake and Tyler both had home bili lights. I think that is silly that they are making him stay, over Christmas no less, for that! We love you, you are in our prayers!

Bockholt said...

Lights smights...isnt the snow glare off the windows enough?? Plus your not one of those moms..Those moms have bad breath and are all frumpy. If they talk about you in report its probably to say "Have you seen that Taggart mom she a hot one" Spitfire can be a good thing.

Shane's Posse said...

I am so glad that you got to brung Ryker home on Christmas! I was so HAPPY to see you! It has been way too long! Your baby is beautiful and Peyton is so handsome! Lets play soon!